Our history dates back to the earliest years of Butler County.
In 1868, George M. Craig and Lore Alford penned the first abstract books in the County in the county seat of Butler Center.
In 1887, Mr. Craig was joined by W.F. Ray. From 1887 until 1904, the company was known as the Craig-Ray Abstract Company.
In 1909, W.C. Shepard joined the company and became president when Mr. Ray retired. The Shepard family has been at the helm of the company ever since.
On January 3, 1945 the corporate charter of the Craig-Ray Abstract Company expired. The business was re-incorporated under the name of Butler County Abstract Company.
W.C. Shepard remained in his role as president until he passed away in 1952. After W.C.’s passing, the company was headed by his son Virgil, who passed away in 2003.
In 1955, Virgil used plans drafted by his father to erect a new building for the company at 503 N. Main street in Allison where it remains today. The building was expanded in 1973.
Butler County Abstract Company holds great pride in our long history of service to the communities of Butler County and looks forward to many more years.